What I Learned About Parenting from the Dog Whisperer

8:15 PM
Not too long ago my husband introduced me to the show "The Dog Whisperer" with Cesar Millan.  I was fascinated as I watched him calm out of control dogs.  Truly he is absolutely amazing at what he does.  The more I watched the show, however, the more I joked with Tavis that a lot of his principles apply to raising children as well.  So, that being said, here are lessons I've learned about parenting from the dog whisperer.  (Please note, this is meant to be fun.  This is not my philosophy for raising children.  I don't treat my children like dogs.  :-)

#1.  Instruct your dog (child) with calm assertive energy.  The dog's (child's) energy will mimic your own.  (Oh how many times I have yelled at my children only to receive the same response back.  Same goes for being fearful, angry, complacent, etc.)

#2.  Dogs (children) need rules, boundaries, and limitations.  

#3.  Dogs (children) want to follow a pack leader.  If you are not the pack leader then the dog (child) will take over that role.

#4.  When your dog (child) is misbehaving don't get frustrated.  See it as an opportunity to teach the dog (child) the right behavior.

#5.  The dog (child) behaves the way he does because you allow it.  (OK, so this one is mostly true.  Sometimes they act however they want, even when you don't allow it.)

#6.  A firm touch will snap a dog (child) out of their present state of "being."  (This one is especially true for boys.  I called Nate's name 3 times earlier today before I touched his arm and "snapped" him out of his silly state.)

#7.  Dogs (children) need exercise, discipline, and affection.  (True for kids, but they need a little more than that.)

#8.  A walk outside will drain enough energy from your dog (child) to be able to instruct them better.  (Ever send your kids outside to drain energy when they're bouncing off the walls?)

#9.  Don't give affection/rewards to your dog (child) when he is misbehaving.  It will only reinforce the bad behavior.  (My favorite example of this is the kid who is screaming at Walmart and gets a candy bar.)

AND DRUMROLL.....

#10. Rehabilitation for dogs (children) takes time and patience.  Don't give up.  All dogs (children) can be rehabilitated.  You do not need to resort to euthanizing them.  :-)
Powered by Blogger.